Log In | Contact Us| View Cart (0)
Browse: Collections Digital Content Subjects Creators Record Groups

Jones, Captain Herbert Sidney (1893-1976) | Litchfield Historical Society

Name: Jones, Captain Herbert Sidney (1893-1976)

Historical Note:

Herbert Sidney Jones was born on July 22, 1893 in New York City.  He attended the U.S. Naval Academy, graduating in 1916.  He received his master's degree in engineering from Columbia University.  He served in the U.S. Navy, and was the commander of a destroyer when he retired in 1934 for reasons of health.  During WWII, he was recalled to active duty and served on the Bureau of Ships from 1939 to 1941.  He and his wife moved to Litchfield in 1955, where he lived until his death in 1976.

Captain Jones, as he was known in Litchfield, was an active participant in Borough affairs, serving as a member of the Litchfield Historical and Architectural Commission, the Litchfield Historical Society, My Country Society, and the Sanctum Club of Litchfield.  Captain Jones was instrumental in establishing the Borough in Litchfield as a historic district, the first of its kind in the area.  He also was responsible for attaining recognition as a National Landmark for the Tapping Reeve Law School.  He served as a vice president of the Litchfield Historical Society for many years, also as chairman of the committees for Maintenance of the Grounds and the Tapping Reeve School.  The Captain also spearheaded the tree replacement program in Litchfield when many of the historic Elms in the borough were threatened by the Dutch Elm Disease sweeping the area.

Captain Jones was the President of My Country Society, Inc., for several years, overseeing publication of the My Country magazines and writing historical and editorial articles as well.

H.S. Jones was also an artist, creating several political cartoons for various newspapers and other publications.  He also designed Litchfield's 250th anniversary commemorative seal, which was officially adopted as the town seal in 1968.

Captain Jones died on February 6, 1976 in Litchfield after a short illness.

Sources: The Litchfield Enquirer [Litchfield] 12 Feb. 1976.

Page Generated in: 0.051 seconds (using 116 queries).
Using 2.16MB of memory. (Peak of 2.32MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-1
Copyright ©2012 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign