- Folder 1: Adams, Family, 1892
- 17 photographs of various family members and generations of Adams Family
- Folder 2: Aldrich, undated
- One photograph of Aldrich wearing an evening gown.
- Folder 3: Anderson, undated
- Two pictures includes one with six children.
- Folder 4: Arnts, Mr. & Mrs. Barzilla, undated
Three pictures include one of Mr. Barzilla Arnts and two of Mrs. Susan (Bidwell) Barzilla Arnts.
There are variant spellings of Barzilla, Barzillai, Barzillia and Barazilla.
- Folder 5: Arthur Family, 1861
- Four photographs includes one of T.S. Arthur, one of Eliza Arthur and two of Louise C. Arthur as a young girl.
- Folder 6: Bacon, Mary, undated
- Two copies of Mary Bacon of Roxbury. Description is given as Gold frame with monogram M.B. It appears to be set within a folding pocket frame. Dimensions to the actual item are given as 1 3/4" x 1 3/8".
- Folder 7: Baldwin Family, 1883
- Names referenced are of Roger Sherman Baldwin as Governor of Connecticut and U.S. Senator, also graduated from the Litchfield Law School. Also George L. Baldwin, Alex McNeil Baldwin. Robert L. Baldwin is on a postcard. Women include Ella Adams Baldwin, Katherine and Margaret Baldwin and others. One picture shows four women wearing hats with a feather posed in front of two bicycles having a skirt guard over the back wheel.
- Folder 8: Bantam Bill, undated
- The description reads: Bantam Bill The Bashful Brusier, Now running in the Woodruff Home Companion. The picture is labled as The Posse and points to three men seated in an early modle car with the top opened. Three men standing are labled The Sheriff, The Prisioner, and The Detective. The bottom inscriptions reads: Wonderful prizes for the person who can tell what bill is thinking about.
- Folder 9: Barnes, undated
- One picture of Katie Watts Barns, Wife of Frank Barns, Mother of Clarence Barnes.
- Folder 10: Batterson, undated
- Includes three pictures of Mary Batterson and one of her sister Clara. Three of the backs are stamped by a Hartford Conn. photograpy studio.
- Folder 11: Beach Family, 1897
- Photography of Mary (Batterson) Beach, wife of Dr. Beach, also a baby picture of their son Goodwin. A picture of Roy Beach is labled Town Clerk 1871-1882. The folder also includes three copies of Mrs. Theron Beach, also labled Lucy Sheldon, who lived with Mrs. Childs.
- Folder 12: Beckwith Family, 1898
19th & 20th Century, 63 Photographs, NY, CT, FLA
Included are photographs of Brinton Coopernail in Mohegan Military Academy uniform, George B. Coopernail (1918) in a military uniform and cape, Sally Ritchie and Cookie (1935) baby picutres, Mary Ann Miller (age 100), Joseph P. Brinton (1898) and Louise N. Coopernail in his Auto Steamer, Florida vacation pictures, Hoyt House constructed of stone formerly owned by Col. Nathan Beckwith.
- Folder 13: Beckwith Family, 1896
1880-1892, 42 photographs
Honolulu, 7 1/2" x 9 1/4" group shot of Union College Freshmen 1896, picture of a trophy for excellence at rifle practice 1906, ice skating, Camp Wow Wow
- Folder 14: Beckwith Family, undated
Unidentified Photographs, Negatives, Note cards
Includes a group of 10 people holding fishing poles, U.S. Post Office building. view of the inside of a church showing a pipe organ in the back balcony, one of the negatives shows an early model car with top canopy down
- Folder 15: Beckwith Family, undated
Charette C. Beckwith, LT. S.A. Beckwith, Capt. S.A. Beckwith, negatives.
Three 5" x 7" negatives, Beckwith in uniform.
- Folder 16: Beckwith Family, 1893
- Family pictures show women in fur hats and coats, children, Madonna, Liszt, Moses Seymour, and other unidentified people including one tin type. One photo is labled a New Haven Fisherrow Fishwives with description on the back of the card. Building pictures include a church, Thomas Lee House in East Lyme, Conn., Beckwith Homestead, Col. Nathan Beckwith Home.
- Folder 17: Beckwith Family, 1898 - 1915
- Photos of Arabia, Florida, New York, Connecticut, Utah and New Jersey. Other people include G. P. Coopernail, Louise Brinton with a trumpet, also riding in a horse and buggy, also a winter sled pulled by a horse, many baby pictures a few are colorized. Pictures of Captian G. P. Coopernail at Fort Beiy Harrison with a pistol, Major Coopernail with Chief Surgical Service on a Base Hospital in Alabama as well as General Hospital in New Jersey. Buildings include the first Coopernail Bedford House, also a stone barn with a water whee. Of special interest is a photo of a woman's bowling club, people in swimsuits one dated 1910, a post card showing several people in swimsuits dated 1915 in Salt Lake, Utah, winter scene on Comming Pond, fishing photos, a girl with a golf club, a canoe, early model cars one dated 1910 and women embrodering. A vacation trip to Arabia in 1939 shows their tent, body guards and the junction of the Euphrets and Tigrus Rivers, pearl fishing boats in Kuait or Persia Gulf. King and his son, Crown Prince of Arabia, Baghdad, a camel, an early model car and hunting with a falcon.
- Folder 18: Beecher, Henry Ward, undated
- Several photos of Rev. Henry Ward Beecher through the years are undated. Included are two 8" x 10" prints of U. S. Coast Gurad ships one off Staten Island with war material headed to Oran and one in New York Harbor full of bauxite from Guiana and Spain, both dated 1943.
- Folder 19: Beecher, Catherine, undated
- One photo of Catherine Beecher in old age plus an enlargement. She is seated writing in a ledger and wearing a shall.
- Folder 20: Beecher, Mrs. Henry Ward, undated
- Folder contains one picture of Mrs. Henry Ward Beecher sitting with arms crossed.
- Folder 21: Stowe, Harriet Beecher, undated
- Two undated photos of Harriet Beecher Stowe.
- Folder 22: Beecher, Lyman, undated
- Includes two pictures and a copy of each.
- Folder 23: Beecher Family, 1857
- Three different photos with a copy of the Beecher Family. An original 8" x 10" photo is dated 1857 and names each person, includes Thomas K., Mrs. Hooker, James, William, Katherine, Lyman, Edward, Mrs. Perkins, Charles, Mrs. Stowe, Henry Ward.
- Folder 24: Beers, Seth P., 1860
- Three photos. One description reads, "Hon. Seth P. Beers, Living East of Phelps Tavern". Another photo reads, "81 yrs. old Jan. 1863."
- Folder 25: Belden Children & Demming, John, undated
- Four cyanotype prints of the children playing together on a cart and with a large dog.
- Folder 26: Benton, 1936
- Includes three photos of Phebe Farnham Benton taken by William Champion Deming outside her home in Litchfield. Also photos of Mrs. Horatio Benton grandmother of W.C.D., A.D., C.D. and Alfred Schermerhorn. Other photos include Jane Benton and Horatio Benton (representative in Hartford).
- Folder 27: Bird, Jonathan, undated
- One 8" x 10" photo print and one 8" x 10" print stating original ownership of Mr. John Seth Bird and his address. Mentioned in the letter is the name Dr. Seth Bird printed by Ralph Crasl, and that the color slide never arrived.
- Folder 28: Bird, Family, undated
- A small photo and a larger close up of a portrait of Dr. Seth Bird of Litchfield.
- Folder 29: Bishop, Annie, undated
- One photo of Annie Bishop.
- Folder 30: Bissell Family, 1880
- Photos include Katherine Marsh, called Kate Bissell, wife of John Bissell and half sister of Rev. Truman Marsh, Rector of St. Michael's Church. Also includes Amanda Bissell, Capt. William Bissell, Elizabeth Bissell, Martha Cogshall Bissell - great grandmother of Chudlugh Bissell Hicks, Mrs Bissell - wife of Rev. L.P. Bissell, and Clinton Bissell.
- Folder 31: Bolton, Chas. Knowles, undated
- One small photo shows Chas. wearing a little boys outfit with short pants, a hat and over the ankle boots.
- Folder 32: Bostwick, Elmore, undated
- Folder includes two photos, one of Dr. Bostwick in a suite and Elmore Bostwick wearing a service uniform standing in front of an early model car.
- Folder 33: Brace Family
- Multiple photos of John Pierce Brace, husband of Aunt Betsey, and nephew of Miss. Sarah Pierce (four ambrotype in case #5), a Daguerreotype in Box 3, also a print of James P. Brace, Jr.
- Folder 34: Brainard, The Poet, undated
- One picture of The Poet Brainard. A notation of the back reads - relative of Mrs. Frederick Deming, neice of Mary Gleason, daughter of Ebenezer Steel Gleason and his wife Prudence Brainard.
- Folder 35: Braman Family, 1863
- Multiple photos of William H. Braman Jr. Other names include William H. Braman, Mrs. William H. Braman - mother of Mary C. Jones and Eaton Jones, Mary C. Braman. A note for a Daguerreotype in Box 3. Many of the photos were taken by studios in Litchfield, one photo is from a Torrington studio. One photo notes Mrs. William Braman - labled Charlotte!, 1863.
- Folder 36: Brennan, 1897
- A group photo notes names on the back of Aunt Lizzie, Dan Brennan, Mother, Mrs. Raye, Ruth Brennan, Frances Heron, Lila Raye, Bess Raye. Other photos names Ruth M. Brennan another photo of Ruth M. Brennan on Beach Street in Litchfield, Ruth's father and mother and Daniel Brennan her brother. Photos from studios located in Litchfield, Torrington and one from Goshen.
- Folder 37: Brewster, Mary, 1954
- Folder includes one photo of Rev. Brewster, another of three people and labled The Rectory, Mr. Howard Dunn, Dean Rose, Mary K. Brewster, 200th Anniversary, Halpine, Oct. 3 or 4, 1954.
- Folder 38: Brickley, Richard, 1995
- A colored photo names John Rath and Richard Brickley. Both are wearing long fur coats and green hats with pins or metals.
- Folder 39: Bronson Family - 1, 1889
- Names include Mrs. E.P. Bronson, George Doughty, Josie Doughty, William W. Perkins, many are unidentified. Of note the two photos of Josie and George Doughty are labled from a Winsted studio - T.M.V. Doughty. One un-named photo shows two young girls with striped, high collared shirts and large, flowered brim hats. A photo of a young woman is labled Grace & Flora from Lena, Dec. 25, '08.
- Folder 40: Bronson Family - 2, 1891
- Aunt Emily, John, Jennie, Earl & Helen Bronson, Mrs. E.P. Bronson with a small cow, Harrison F. Leonard, Uncle Rob and Aunt Alice, two men working on a wagon wheel or machinery, many photos are unidentified. An un-named photo of a young woman dressed in a nurse's uniform, a striped shirt with a high collar, apron and hat.
- Folder 41: Brooks, Whitney L., 1977
- Folder contains three 8" x 10" black and white prints (same photo) of Whitney Lawton Brooks taken at Torrington Historical Society - Winter of 1977. One of the prints is mounted.
- Folder 42: Buel Family - 1, 1863
- Photos include Elisabeth C. Barney Buel (Mrs. John Laidlaw Buel - 1st Regent of the Mary Floyd Talmadge Chapter of the DAR), General Frederick Buel and his Obituary, Ida C. Buel, Dr. John Buel son of Dr. Henry W. Buel and M. Laidlaw, Capt. Salomon Buel, Dr. Samuel Buel, Mrs. Betsy Buel standing while working on a large spinning wheel, Dr. Henry W. Buel, --- Mary Buel, Miss. Katherine L. Buel, Miss. Minerro Buel (Mrs. Francis Blake), unidentified - thought to be wife of Dr. Henry Buel. An added notation mentions daguerreotypes in Box 2, 5, 8, 9.
- Folder 43: Buel Family - 2, 1887
- Photos include a glossy print of Mrs. Betsy Buel At a large spinning wheel (duplicate from folder 1) taken at Miss. Benngu's County Fair for George Jr. dated 1913, also includes the 8" x 10" negative.In addition a print copied from an original of Anne Pollard, a photo showing three people putting on show shoes dated1887 identified as Misses K. & M. Buel and an unidentified man, two women identified as Minerva Buel and Nellie Brown, John L Buel, Dr. Henry W. Buel in conservatory at Homestead, Dr. Henry W. Buel in his library, Katherine Lefferts Buel - daughter of Dr. Henry W. Buel, and a tiny 1½" x 2 ½" print of four women wearing hats and high collared coats identified as Mary McNeill, Mrs. John Buel, Minerva Buel and K. L. Buel dated Wednesday November 20, 1889.
- Folder 44: Bulkey, William S., 186-
- One picture of William Stoddard Bulkley in his Civil War uniform holding his hat, sword by his side. Information is given he died, at age 32, at the Battle of Winchester, Virgina, Company A 12th C.V.
- Folder 45: Bull, Federick Kingsbury, undated
- One 8" x 10" black and white print of Frederick Kingsbury Bull wearing his wire rimmed glasses.
- Folder 46: Bull, Katherine E. (Mrs. Ludlow), 1929
- One picture shows Mrs. Ludlow standing with a banner from Saint James Church dated 1965, and a small 1¾" x 2 ¾" photo identifies Miss Dorothy Bull and Mrs. Spinney, dated 1929.
- Folder 47: Burnside, Gen., undated
- Includes one picture of Gen. Burnside in military uniform, his right hand is inserted into his jacket.
- Folder 48: Burr, Aaron, undated
- Folder includes one 8" x 10" print of a portrait in a frame titled Theodosia Burr - daughter of Aaron Burr. The back identifies it as Theodosia Burr in Tapping Reeve house but an added notation questions the identification from Yale Art Gallery.
- Folder 49: Cahill, Norman Charles, 1948
- One 3 ½" x 5 ¾" color photo of Norman Charles Cahill, age 6, July 28, 1948. He is posed barefoot, sitting on a large tricycle with a wicker basket attached to the front.
- Folder 50: Caldwell Family, undated
- Folder includes three photos identified as Julia Bush Caldwell, age 14 and Samuel SeithCaldwell Jr., age 9, and Fredericka M. Caldwell.
- Folder 51: Camp, Charlotte and Martha, 1852
- Photos show the girls at different ages, includes four 8" x 10" black and white prints of Charlotte and two pictures of both Charlotte and Martha together.
- Folder 52: Catlin Family, 1909
- Photos are identified as Mary Le. Catlin, Luman Catlin, Judge Putnam Catlin, a 6" x 8" mounted photo of Mr. Arthur Catlin at the Little Pond Regatta dated Sept. 1909, photographed by W.S. Sanford. Also included are two glossy 8" x 10" prints of portraits, one of George Catlin and a portrait of Dr. Able Catlin by George Catlin.
- Folder 53: Chamberlain, Gov., undated
- Includes one photo of Gov. Chamberlin of Connceticut.
- Folder 54: Champlin Family, 1895
- Folder includes a undated photo of J. Denison Champlin in a military uniform having a white sash and metals displayed on the front left and his right arm holds his hat displaying a large eagle emblem. A photo dated April 1944 identifies John Denison Champlin - Co. A 302 Inf - 94th div. USA in his military uniform. Also smaller pictures are identified as John D. Champlin, Jr. graduation in June 1943, also John aged 2 and three and one with his mother Margery Buelyer (Doughlastm) Champlin, and another of Denison Champlin dated April 3rd 1895.
- Folder 55: Champlin, Ester, 1840
- Folder includes one color glossy print of a framed portrait of Ester Champlin, ca1840.
- Folder 56: Chandler, Hon. Zac, undated
- Folder includes one photo of Hon. Zac Chandler.
- Folder 57: Child, Mrs.Nathaniel Rochester (Elizabeth Prince), 1890
Folder contains two 6" x 8" mounted, and one unmounted photo of Mrs. Nathaniel Rochester Child, (Elizabeth Stone Prince), and one copy unmounted. Both photos are taken in her home on North Street, locally known as the Daniel Sheldon house. One is taken in the parlor with her seated next to a piano. In the other photo she is seated at her desk in the upper-front hall. A description included on the back of the photo makes note of a preserved section of an original hand-stencilled decoration and a gas jet (lamp?). Also noted was that Mrs. Child was educated at the Litchfield Female Seminary in the 1830's. Later in life went to live with Mrs. Theron Beach, (Lucy Sheldon). Photographs taken by William H. Sanford of Litchfield.
Also see Daguerreotype Box 10 - Child, and oversize Turner Collection in Shelden House.
- Folder 58: Chipman, R. Manning, undated
- Includes one postcard photo of R. Manning Chipman, Pastor - Harwinton Congregational Church 1835 - 1839, also author of "The History of Harwinton", 1860. R. Manning Chipman, Jewett City, Conn.
- Folder 59: Clay, Henry, 1842
- Includes two pictures of H. Clay, dated 1942 and 1844.
- Folder 60: Clendendin, Gabrielle (Greely)(Mrs. Frank), undated
One photo is of Mrs. Clendendin reflected in a mirror and wearing her wedding dress. Mr. Clendendin was a clergyman.
Gabrielle Greeley Clendennin, (Mrs. Frank Montrose Clendennin), daughter of Horace Greeley and Mary Y. Cheney of Litchfield, Conn.
The family was friends with the Deming Ladies.
Alternate spelling Clendendin, Clendennin
- Folder 61: Coe, Frederick Lewis, undated
- Folder includes one 2½" x 4" photo of Ferderick Lewis Coe, son of Levi Coe and Lavinia Maria McNeill Coe and father of Stanley Lewis Coe, Philip Frederick Coe, Frederick Levi Coe.
- Folder 62: Coe, Mrs. Stanley and Olive, undated
- Folder contains two photos, one of Sally Coe as a young woman, the other is of Mrs. Stanley Coe and a young girl, Olive printed onto a postcard.
- Folder 63: Coit Family, undated
- Photos include one of Elizabeth Coit, daughter of Chas. H. Coit, wearing a white dress and ballet shoes dancing a Greek dance for benefit of the D.A.R. 1912. Also photos of Henry R. Coit, two of John O. Coit, son of Henry R. Coit - cashier of Litchfield Bank and Miss Olmstead, and two photos of Mrs. H.R. Coit, (Frances Olmsted Coit), mother of Charles H. Coit and grandmother of Mrs. McLean.
- Folder 64: Colgate, Sarah (Bowles), Mrs. Robert, undated
- One photo, 6" x 8" of Mrs. Robert Colgate, (Sarah Bowles), and holds a small book and glasses. The folder also includes a 4½" 3" certificate from Brady"s National Photographic Galleries, 785 Broadway, cor. 10th ST., N.Y. The certificate also mentions "The negative from which this print was made will be preserved one year and longer if requested."
- Folder 65: Coley, Hiram, undated
- One 2½" x 4" photo of Hiram Coley
- Folder 66: Colvocoresses Family, 1873
- Folder includes photos of Harold Colvocoresses in uniform, USMC. Photos of Rear Admiral George P. Colvocoresses in U.S. Navy uniform dated 1896 and 1911. Also a photo of Admiral George P. Colvocoresses holding a cat and his grandson - Harold, Jr. holding a small drum. A photo dated Sept. 30, 1923 identifying Rear Admiral Colvocoresses, Capt. Harold Colvocoresses and Gra. (Grandmother) Colvocoresses Jones. Other photos include George Jones (husband) and Eva Jones, Mrs. George M. Colvocoresses - Marian Hagen(?)of Numia, New Caledonia, (her mother was Australian, her father German). (George was a mining engineer in New Caledonia). Other photos of Marie Colvocoresses, Eva F. Colvocoresses dated 1873, a 7" x 3½" photo depicting a ceremony honoring G.P. Colvocoresses returning from the Spanish War dated 1898, Harry Lee (one in uniform) and Josephine Colvocoresses dated 1942.
- Folder 67: Colvocoresses, 1917 - 1919
- One 10" x 7" group photo of servicemen identified as LT. Harold Colvocoresses, seated, officer in charge USMC Recruiting Officer, Atlanta, GA, World War l, 1917 - 1919.
- Folder 68: Corning, Rev. James & S. Frederick Gleason, undated
- Folder includes one photo of Rev. James Leonard Corning, (married Sarah Ellen Deming), and one 7" x 9" photo of Ferderick Gleason Corning, (second son of Rev. James Leonard Corning) - great grandson of Julius Deming of Litchfield.
- Folder 69: Crutch, Edna Merriman, undated
- One photo of Edna Merriman Crutch.
- Folder 70: Culver, Herbert Lucius & Augusta (Culver) Miles, undated
- Two photos, one of Augusta (Culver) Miles and Herert Lucius Culver from Colebrook, the other identified as "My Grandmother" Harriet Kinney Culver. A third photograph is an enlargement of a Daguerreotype - see box 8, Culver.
- Folder 71: Daniels, C. T., 1923
- One photo of C. T. Daniels, Musical Composer, Teacher, resident of Litchfield - West Street. Dated Oct. 1923.
- Folder 72: DaRoss, Mr. John, Jr & Sr., undated
- Folder includes three photos, (and one duplicate of DaRoss Sr.),Two photos are of the DaRoss family - includes parents, two children and Sr. DaRoss.
- Folder 73: De Filippi, Caroline, undated
- Folder includes three photos of Caroline (Fitzgerald) De Filippi.
- Folder 74: Deming Family - 1, 1902
- Folder includes photos of Harriet Deming, born 1789, daughter of Henry and Ann (Lord) Deming. Harriet was the wife of the Rev. William Lighthouse Strong. William, standing on a type of excavator claw construction equipment and Jennie Ward Deming standing near railroad tracks , Neil Deming (brother of Henry Deming) in military uniform, Edwin Glidden, Elizabeth (McGrath) Deming, Will Deming, adopted sister of Mary V. Moody, James Deming (son of Henry brother of Mary) standing near a hat, wearing a jacket, short pants and high buttoned shoes, Asa Deming, Kitty Kelly Kinsella, Mr. Kinsella, Mary V. Deming with what appears to be a watch or broach pinned to her dress, Miss. Howard with a hand colored dress costume possibly related to a theater production. Included in the folder is a copy of eleven people identified by a numbered list including (Upper Row) Lynn Tudor Deming, Fritzie King, Charles Deming, Gail King, Imogen Howe, and Rust Deming (farthest right). (Front Row) Sally Howe, Champion Deming (grandfather) - Roz or Alison Deming (baby), John Deming, and Rodney Deming.
- Folder 75: Deming Family - 2, 1882
- The folder includes a 5" x 7" class photo with Miss.Charlotte Deming holding a violin, there also appears to be four othe pupils holding a violin and another woman with a base or cello. Other photos include M.A. Deming, William Deming M.D., Juila Deming, Julius Deming married - Adams, Wm. Champion Deming, a tin type with two young women holding violins, Charlotte Deming and Annie Gates with their violins wearing formal gowns, Clarence Deming, a group photo with people holding tennis rackets, a group photo of a stage with everyone holding string instruments including a harp, cellos and base instruments, Frances Deming - Waterman (sister of Henry Deming), Dr. Gates with Charlotte visiting Annie Gates in Colorado with a bicycle sporting a skirt guard, Clara Beach and Charlotte Deming both holding violins, Hawthorn Deming, Neva Peck, Kathie Waterbury, Capt. W.C. Deming in uniform of WW One, Dorthy Bracebridge, Una (Mrs. Sereno Gammell) standing next to early model cars, Ruby K. Thresher, Mrs. William Deming (Mary A. Beutou), Charlottes violin - Gaetano Pasta 1735 Amati model (notation says paid $150.00, Joan (Mrsl Paul W. Howe), Hawthorn Deming, photo of a bust of F. Deming, S.Y. Hawthorn Deming in Air Force uniform, Dorthy Champion Deming, Julia Deming, Clarence Deming, Dr. Wm. Champion Deming. A note says see Tintypes Box 1.
- Folder 76: Deming Family - 3, 1886
- Photos include a group Theatrical Production with Miss. Charlotte Deming, Miss. Annie Gates and Mr. and Mrs. Meafoy, other group photos include Miss. Charlotte Deming, Julia Deming and Miss Adelaide Demin, Dorthy Deming, Charles Deming, Lucretia and Dorthy Deming, Julius Deming, Frederick Deming, Julius Deming Jr, Mrs. William Deming Sr., a cyanotype of four children and a dog with playing with a wagon includes John Deming, other photos of Charlotte with her violin some with Annie Gates, William Deming M.D., taken in 1958 a photo captions Miss Charlotte Deming in front of Chinese Chestnut trees, and two color photos of Miss Charlotte Deming on her 95th birthday with her violins.
- Folder 77: Deming, Adelaide, undated
- Photos of Miss Adelaide Deming as a young child through adulthood. Miss. Adelaide Deming was the daughter of William and Mary (Benton) Deming. Photos also include Charlotte Deming, and Adelaide Deming with Hawthorne while he was a student at Hotchkiss School.
- Folder 78: Deming, Dudley Brainard, undated
- Folder includes one photo of Dudley Brainard Deming in his later years wearing a jacket and tie also wearing wire rimmed glasses.
- Folder 79: Dutton, H. M., undated
- Folder includes one photo of H.M. Dutton standing and wearing a civil war uniform having large buttons down the front center and a tied belt with tassles on the ends.
- Folder 80: Ells, Capt. William B., undated
- Folder includes one photo of Capt. William B. Ells, possibly from Plymouth. Caption on back reads Capt. Ells, Co. D, one of our mrp.
- Folder 81: Elmore Family, undated
- Photo and copy of an 8" x 10" of four people seated in the parlor with George Orton Elmore (Son) playing a banjo, Nellie R. Peck Elmore (Mother), back - Paul Bradley Elmore (son), front George Sheldon Elmore (father) reading a magazine or newspaper. To the left in the front room is an elaborate wood stove.
- Folder 82: Ferguson Family, 1914
- Includes two 3½" x 4½" photos of Alice Newton Street and Elizabeth Ferguson dated Sept. 1914. One shows them in the garden the other on the porch using a butter churn. Also a 2 ¼" x 3" of Elizabeth Ferguson, caption reads, She is now nearly 6 yrs. Another photo of Alice Newton Street, caption reads, In the garden walk August 1918. Also a photo of Eratus Hurlbut, Washington, Conn. caption reads See article in Conn. Magazine. There is also a hand written letter (partial) signed by Alice which describes what is happening in enclosed photos. It mentions the colonial standing stool put together with wrought iron nails of which several generations of Newtons have been caged in, also of making green tomato sauce, sweet pickle and spiced apples. A partial paragraph mentions a gardener going in business growing a particular plant which has grown valuable for the root used for medicinal purposes.
- Folder 83: Fitzgerald, Mrs. William J., 1896
- Includes two photos of same of Mrs. William J. Fitzgerald when living in London, possibily at 22 Down Street, Picaddilly.
- Folder 84: Foord, Mrs. Malcolm, undated
- One 8" x 10" of Mrs. Malcolm Foord Sr. who lived on South Street.
- Folder 85: Foote, Commodore & Augusta, 1861
- One photo of Commodore Foote in military uniform and one photo of Mrs. Commadore Foote - Augusta Street.
- Folder 86: Fowler, 1894
- One photo of Hathe Fowler, Aleureet's sister. One photo taken at Prospect Church in Warsaw N.Y. of Leire ball and Aleureets Fowler. The two young boys appear to be wearing bakers uniforms and together are holding a large covered box with the words ME ON EVERY PIECE written on the side.
- Folder 87: Franklin, William Butler, Gen., undated
- One photo of Gen. William Butler Franklin wearing a military uniform.
- Folder 88: Freeman, Dr. and Mrs. Orrin, undated
- Includes photo copies of prints? by Samuel Broadbent, one of Dr. Orrin Barnabas Freeman and one of Mrs. Orrin Barnabas (Orinda Catlin) Freeman.
- Folder 89: Fuller, Margaret, undated
- One photo copy from a print? of Margaret Fuller.
- Folder 90: Gates, Dr. Howard & Family, 1896
Folder includes photos of Asst. Surgeon Howard E. Gates in military uniform - Promoted and mustered Surgeon, 189th N.Y.V., dated Nov. 23, 1864. Other information states - commissioned a surgeon in the Union Army (N.Y. State Volunteers) Aug. 19, 1862. Folder includes other photos of Dr. Gates as a young man and later as a general practioner in Litchfield wearing wire rimmed glasses later in life. Includes photos of Mrs. Howard E. Gates, Dr. Gates mother, Annie Howard Gates - notation states she developed delicacy of the lungs and moved to Colorado about 1888. Another notation states both Dr. Gates and Annie Gates moved to Colorado Springs because of her ill health. There are two 5" x 7" photos of "Soldiers and Sailors Club in Colorado Springs, 1921.
Notations: See "Wessells" Family.
See Tintype Box 2 for images of Gates family.
- Folder 91: Gilbert, Fannie Buell, undated
- One photo of Fannie Buell Gilbert taken at Benedict's, a Photo Studio in Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 92: Gleason, Maj. Ebenezer Steel, undated
Photo of a painting of Major Ebenezer Steel Gleason of Farmington, Conn. who married Prudence Urainard - sister of Rudge Teremiah Gates Urainard. He was the father of Mary Gleason who married Frederick Deming.
Painted in 1911 by W. Haskell Coffin.
- Folder 93: Goddard Family, 1904
- Includes a 6½" x 8½" photo of Mrs. Warren Goddard - Miss. Geraldein Winslon. A photo of Alice, Celestine and Sylvia Goddard about 1905 sitting together and one of Alice W. Goddard, daughter of F. Norton Goddard holding a doll about 1904.
- Folder 94: Goodman & Mailhouse Families, 1897
- Includes five copies of children and family photos. Photos include various activities during the summer on a farm such as picking and eating berries and drinking milk. People identified are Robert , Helen and Rena Goodman, Grace and Robert Mailhouse, Edith and Sam Newman.
- Folder 95: Goslee, Electa A. Griffin, 1857
- Two photos of Electa Ann Griffin Goslee. One photo of her on a horse at the Litchfield Fair, (she was 14 yrs. old) and the other of her sitting posed with her riding crop.
- Folder 96: Grant, Ulysses S., undated
- One photo of General Ulysses S. Grant.
- Folder 97: Graves, undated
- Includes two photos of Col. C.H. Graves, cousin of G.A. Baldwin. In one photo he wears a military uniform, U.S.A.
- Folder 98: Gould Family, 1889
- Includes 8" x 10" photos of Judge James Gould, Mrs. James Gould (Sally Tracy Gould), Mrs. Roger Minot Sherman (Elizabeth Gould sister of Judge james Gould), a photo pf a portrait of Judge James Gould. One photo of a costume of Julia Gould. Smaller photos include Sister of Judge James Gould (Elizabeth) and her husband (Roger Minot Sherman), William Hunter, Judge William Tracy Gould, Miss Martha Campbell Hunter, Mrs. Hattie Gould (Jefferies), Julia Tracy Hunter (Gould), Jamie Gould Jefferies, dated 1889. Folder also includes 2½" x 4" photos of Judge William Tracy Gould, "Uncle Robert" - Gen. Robert E. Lee, Commander of the Southern Army C.S.A. Judge George Gould - court of appeals - state of New York, Edward Sherman Gould - brother of William Tracy Gould, Henry Guy Gould - son of James Gould, Miss Lidia Eliza Hunter, James Gould Jefferies, James Gould - son of Charles Gould of N.Y. - son oof Judge James Gould of Litchfield, and James Hunter - son of William Hunter of Savannah.
- Folder 99: Griswold, undated
- One photo of John Griswold, a soldier of the Revolution. See card catalogue and letter file of Revolutionary Soldiers Committee.
- Folder 100: Guion, George, 1943
- Includes one photo of George Guion, 1st L.T. Calvery, formerly Conn. State Guard, WWII, shown in uniform holding his sword upright and sitting on his horse.
- Folder 101: Haddock, Charles Whitney, Dr. & Family, 1916
- Folder includes four photos. A 7" x 9½" photo of Dr. Charles Whitney Haddock taken Oct. 1916, (died Dec. 1918). A 4½" x 7½" photo of Dr. Haddock's wife Elleva Colvocoresses, (died July 1937). A 4" x 6" photo of Charles C. Haddock, taken Sept. 1917 and a 3½" x 6" photo of Whitney Haddock in military uniform, taken in 1943.
- Folder 102: Haliburton, Judge T. C., 1899
One photo of Judge T. C. Haliburton.
Note: Sam. Slick, Author of the "Clock Maker".
- Folder 103: Hallock, Rev. L., undated
- One 4" x 6" photo of Rev. L. H. Hallock from West Winsted, Conn.
- Folder 104: Harrison, William Elihu, undated
- One 2½" x 4" photo of William Elihu Harrison, who built the Woodruff House.
- Folder 105: Hausmann, A. J., 1954
- One 5" x 7" photo of A. J. Hausmann, March 17, 1954. Photo shows him sorting a handful of mail into the multiple compartments of a wooden sorter.
- Folder 106: Heminway, Charlotte (Lewis) & Harry, 1942
- A family photo printed into a Christmas card. Picture taken on Golden Wedding Anniversary of Mr. & Mrs. Harry Heminway, showing sons Barton and Meriett with Lewis and children.
- Folder 107: Hickox Family, 1884
Folder includes two tin types, one unidentified dated 1884, the other identified as Grandpa, Grandma and Aunt Frances, undated. An 8" x 6½" photo of Mr. & Mrs. George Augustus Hickox in the parlor of thrie Litchfield home, (house to East of Historical Society building), 1890.
Others identified in photos: Zillah Keesr Hickox, 3 years & 9 months, 1896. Another photo of Aillah K. Hickox at 77 years. Mary C. Hickox, founder of the Litchfield Library, she is seated with a shall draped over her shoulders while she reads from a book. George Augustus Hickon, probate judge, editor of Litchfield Enquirer. George Augustus Hickox with son, William Brisbane Hickox on his knee. Mrs. George Augustus Hickox with her daughter, Francis Eliot Hickox. A 2½" x 4" photo of Caleb Hickox from Watertown, Conn. A 3½" x 2½" of Mr. Will Hickox and his friends, identified as Arthur Bostwick, Philip Hubbard, and William Champion Demming, dated 1959.
- Folder 108: Hinman, undated
- One 2½" x 4" photo of Julia A. Hinman.
- Folder 109: Hinsdale, Mrs., undated
- Folder includes two photos. One with Mrs.C. W. Hinsdale sitting in a large wooden chair with a dog at her feet. The other is of Mrs. Hinsdale & "Tinkle" her cat.
- Folder 110: Hollister, Gideon; Mrs. (Mary S. Brisbane); G. H. & son John, 1862
- Photos are identified as follows: Mr. S. Holloster, taken 1862. Gideon Hollister, dted 1881. Royal Prussian Consult charged with the U.S. Vice Consolar. Souvenier of minister american Hollister. The general Pitron Franberk. Lady P. Fanberk. G. H Holloster & son John. President Salnave. Earnest Loumain. Mrs. Gideon Hollister/Mary S. Brisbane Hollister. And with a special note: Mr. R. Berger, Consul of His majesty the King of Prussia, sends with his respectfull regards to Mrs. Hollister the portrait of the Count of Bismarck. Also Daguerreotypes Box 7 and Box 3 -Hollister Family (see Brisbane).
- Folder 111: Holmes, L. F., undated
- One 4" x 6" photo of L. F. Holmes (?), West Street, Litchfield.
- Folder 112: Hoppin Family, 1883
Folder includes a framed daguerrotype and a print of the same of Mary D. Hoppin at Easter 1905, also named Mrs. James M. Hoppin, Mary Dewing Perkins. Other photos identify: Benjamin Hoppin, elder son of Prof. & Mrs. Jas. Mason Hoppin.Professor James M. Hoppin of Yale University, note says "lived in Sheldon Tavern in summer. Mrs. James Mason Hoppin, Jr., (Susan Pringle MItchell). James Mason Hoppin, Jr. (1857-1897). James Mason Hoppin dated 1878. Benjamin Hoppin, about 21 years old. Prof. James Mason Hoppin, (1820-1906). J. Mason Hoppin as Monsieur Otto, dated 1875. Mrs. Frederick Street Hoppin, dated 1883. Mr. & Mrs. J Mason Hoppin, Jr. at "Rococo", dated 1906, they are riding in a buggy pulled by two white horses. Kittie & Ester Hoppin, posed together and both young girls are wearing a string of pearls.
Of note: Daguerreotype Box 10.
- Folder 113: How Family, undated
- Four photos identifies: Two children together, one as James How, 4½ years, and Margaret How, 15 months. Charlie How; Julia Adams How; James How, father of James & Charles A. How.
- Folder 114: Howe, James, 1866
- Folder includes one photo of Jim Howe. Another photo identifies James Howe with inscription on back which reads, "Presented from J H to Mother Wheeler October 19th 1866".
- Folder 115: Hoyt, Mrs. James H., undated
- Folder includes two photos identifies Mrs. James H. Hoyt, Great Grandmother of Eaton Jones.
- Folder 116: Humiston, John Pierpont, 1860
- Includes one photo post card showing John Pierpont Humiston of Northfiled, original taken in Paris.
- Folder 117: Hunt, 1947
- Includes one photo of Mother Hunt and Fernie Hunt.
- Folder 118: Hunt, Fernie & Family, 1902
- One photo shows George H. Hunt and Patrick C. Burke sitting in the Town Clerk's Office, Florence Mayer of Spencer Street, Fernie W. Hunt while attending Pratt Institute, J Mayer?. Also a colored photo of Fernie W. Hunt (78) and his wife Florence M. Hunt (71). Other photos are of George Hunt and Jack (his dog), Mrs. William Plumb, Miss. Ester Thompson, Miss. Josephine Mitchell - Litchfield school teacher, two women sitting in the grass next to their bicycles sporting skirt guards, (George) Herbert Skirmer in military uniform - George H. Hunts nephew, two pictures of Jay Whitehill and Fermie Hunt in Fernies National Roadster Racer car. Also includes 3½" x 2½" photos of Florence Mayer, Amanda, Joseph and Marretto, Miss Leach - school teacher, activities include on the lake (in a boat), a second photo in a boat holding a fish also beside the old red barn on Spencer Street. later replaced with a garage, winter scene sitting on a sled. Also includes a group photo of Joseph Edward Mayer and Amanda S. Mayer and her sister Marretta Siddall Hall, two photos of Fernie W. Hunt, 1897 (2 yrs. 10 months) holding a cat.
- Folder 119: Hussey, undated
- One photo of a painting of Hussey. He is standing on a ship wearing his military uniform. He holds his hat in one hand while displayed in front of him is a drawing of a ship and his binoculars.
- Folder 120: Hutchins, Rev. John, approximately 1914
- One photo of Rev. John Hutchins - Pastor of 1st Congregational Church 1895 - 1915. He died in March 1915 after an operation.
- Folder 121: Hyde Family, undated
- One un-identified tin type and two 2½" x 4" photos. One of Alice Hyde? the other identified as Charlotte Hyde (Mrs. Edwin Tomlinson, CHW's Aunt).
- Folder 122: Ives, undated
- One photo of George Ives (Tax Collector) in office in old Court House Building in center of Litchfield.
- Folder 123: Jackson, Elizabeth, (Mrs. T. Henry), undated
- One photo of Mary Elizabeth Jackson, second daughter of John P. and Elizabeth (Wolcott) Jackson. She married Thomas Charlton Henry.
- Folder 124: Jackson, John P. & Mrs. (Elizabeth Wolcott), undated
- Two photos of paintings. One of John P. Jackson, the other of his wife Elizabeth Wolcott, the third daughter of Frederich and Elizabeth (Huntington) Wolcott.
- Folder 125: Jones, Mrs. Charles (Maria Buel) & Mary Maria Jones, 1896
- Three photos include Capt. Charles Jones, dies aged 94, (1797 - 1891), Mary Maria Jones dated 1851, and Maria Buel Jones, wife of Capt. Charles Jones, died aged 86.
- Folder 126: Jones, Eva Fenlore (Colvocoresses), Mrs. George Eaton Jones, 1889
Photos identify Mrs. Charles Jones (Maria Buell), Mary Maria Jones and one of Mrs. Demming with three doves on her shoulder and three at her feet, dated 1938.
A postcard identifies Mary M. Jones and Marcellice her little black cat, dated 1915.
Two photos of Eva C. Jones in a white dress and fashionable hat dated, 1900. The other she wears a fur trimmed outfit and a wide brimmed hat decorated with long feathers.
Two photos showing an inground pool at Ranch Tavern, in Berlin, N.Y. One photo with Mr. and Mrs. Bruguiger, the other with Eva Jones with a small black horse, both dated 1939.
Photos include Eva Jones, two showing her planing Basketball, one at Pilham Hall dated 1898, the other a Yale - Harvard game.
A group photo of five women in long dark dresses with a long white apron and small hat identified as Eva Jones, Edith Mauies, Jean Hurt, Madge Sanford, Julieth Rogers at Ingleside School, New Milford, CT dated 1894.
A photo of three people using a ladder to climb a large haystack,dated 1889.
An early model car with six people in front of it identified as Mrs. Savage, Laura Monigstav, Eva Jones, Grace Lkiuple, Mr. Hanford and Mrs. Raab, dated June 22, 1935 in Berlin, N.Y.
A photo taken at Mrs. Crouse's house in Great Barrington, dated 1943 also identifies Mrs. Frank Backus, Eva Jones, Mrs. Jane Backus and Marion Graham.
One photo of five women identifies Julie McNeil, Julie Parmelee, Eva Jones, Blanche Bowns, dated 1894.
Others names identifies Jesse, Billie and Donald Carpenter with Eva Jones in Fairfield, CT, dated 1934. Eva Jones with her cat Jerry. Also Char and Jean Llundyn. Alternate name for Eva Fenlore Colvocoresses later Mrs. Geo. E. Jones at 13 years old, (died 1875).
- Folder 127: Jones Family, 1899
Most photos are unidentified and undated.
Photos include Mary Jones in her North Street house, dated 1899. Joseph Carlevale Eaton Jones. Harold sitting in his new (early model) Packard. Eva Jones at Daytona Beach with Mrs. Geo. N. Bailey. Daisy Miller.
A photo of four womes at Ranch Tavern, Berlin, N.Y. 1939, identifies Mrs. Brugueger, Edith Whiting, Bertha Powell and Eva Jones.
A group of 16 young men are posed in a 9" x 8" photo of "The Harvey Gang '89". Also an unidentified 7" x 6" photo of 20 people, mostly women, dressed in warm coats, gloves and hats.
Of special note is a 5" x 9" photo of an unidentified N.Y. firefighter.
Folder also includes one tintype and a note for Daguerreotypes in Box 5 and 7, and an Ambrotype in Box 1.
- Folder 128: Jones, George Eaton, Mr. & Mrs., 1880
- Folder includes two photos. One is a 8" x 6" prnt of Mr. & Mrs. Eaton siting in front of a large waterfall while holding umbrellas. The second photo is of Mr. Jones.
- Folder 129: Joy, Walter, undated
- Folder includes three photos. Names identify Walter Joy, Kate Palmer Joy, and Jane Ellen Radcliffe Joy.
- Folder 130: Judd, undated
- One 4" x 5 ½" photo of Frances E. Judd.
- Folder 131: Karl Family, 1910
- Names identified are Helen Vendall, John LeFevre, Virginia LeFevre, Delin Libbie Hendall & Helen, Mary Belle Nickolson at Pacific Grove, James B. De-Haven (21 & 20 months), Charney Knapp and his friend Miss. Jessie Gibbs at Santa Barbara, Raymond LeFevre, Janice Bryce De-Haven, Mrs. H A Ross - Fowler Calif., a hyderang Bush at Santa Cruz, Coralin Nickolson & her buro. Three cyanotypes one of Graces Bungalows at Santa Barbara, unidentified statue in the gardens and statue of The End of the Trail - San Francisco 1915. One group photo taken at top of Nevada Falls identifies Lione Westman, Georgia Miner & Verna, Miss Smead, A. R. Brown, Lillie, H. E. Elder. An older woman holding a cat reads Me & My pet Kitty Blue. Also a wedding photo of Melba Manly & Alfred Jensen married at Fowler, Calif. Two photos of Thanksgiving Party at Raymond & Agnes' Selma and their dog all standing in front of a covered wagon identifies Delin, Raymond Jim Feynam, Mary, John LeFevre, mother Ross, Agnes, Harvey. Another group photo unidentifed people sitting at a picnic table, on the table are brown bags and a can that reads Belfast - cut plug (definition as Salmon fishing with cut plug herring as bait).Other photos depict a cattle seen in Santa Cruz Mountains, a large group, (43 people) unidentified in front of a church. Folder includes four tin types.
- Folder 132: Kellogg, Lt. Col. Elisha S., 1863
- Photos of Col. Elisha Kellogg, (one a copy and one an enlargement), Commanding Officer of the 2nd CT Heavy Artillery. Killed at Cold Harbor, 1864. An 9½" x 8" print of glass slide, mustering of the 19th Regt. CT Infantry (on the Green in Litchfield), later became the 2nd CT Heavy Artillery.
- Folder 133: Kellogg Family, 1835
- Includes one 3½" x 5" baby photo of Elizabeth Kellogg.
- Folder 134: Kelly, Cornelia (Benton), undated
- One photo of Cornelia Benton Kelly, born Nov. 10, 1838.
- Folder 135: Kilbourn, Dwight C.; Karl, Ben; Smith, Cornelia B., undated
- Folder includes two photos of Dwight Kilbourne in military uniform. Sarah Hopkins Kilbourn was the wife of Dwight C. Kilbourn.
- Folder 136: Kirby, Col. Edmund, undated
- Folder includes one photo and a copy, both 2½" x 3" of Col. Edmond Kirby, Paymaster, U.S. Army.
- Folder 137: Kirby, Ephraim & Ruth (Marvin), undated
Includes two photos. One photo of Ephraim and one of Ruth (Marvin) Kirby. A third photo is of the gravestone of Ephriam Kirby at site of old Fort Stoddert on the Tombigbee River about twenty miles north of Mobile, Alabama.
Includes information stating Fort Stoddert was a frontier fort in 1804 when Ephriam Kirby served there as territorial land commisssioner for the Mississippi Territory. At that time Mobile was a Spanish territory. Kirby died October 20, 1804 and was buried at the fort. He served this post only nine months but was very effective in this service.
Information given by Reynold B. Burt, 807 Alabama Court, Sheffield, Alabama #35660.
- Folder 138: Knapp, Rev. Shepherd, undated
One 8" x 8" photo of Kate Louise Knapp - primping at the Litchfield Club.
Of special note: Located where the Town Office Building now stands. After the Country Club was relocated at its present location, the clubhouse was renamed The Playhouse, and was the scene of theatricals, dances, etc.
Possibly published by the Editor of Time- Life Books, New York, Inc. 1971.
- Folder 139: Lancaster, John H., undated
- One 2½" x 4" B&W photo pf John H. Lancaster swinging a golf club.
- Folder 140: Langford, Mrs. Thomas & Children, undated
- One photo of Mrs. Thomas A. Langford, (Anne Emlen McNeill) sitting on a wicker chair with Thomas Alexander Langford and Ruth Emlen Langford.
- Folder 141: Lautier, 1956
- Margaret & Al Lautier, (Milton Rd., Litchfield). Taken at Aunts' brook/picnic area, West Rd., Litchfield, CT.
- Folder 142: Lawrence, Fannie Virginia Casseopia, Slave Child, 1863
- One 2½" x 4" photo of Fannie Virginia Casseopia Lawrence. Caption reads, "A Redeemed Slave Child, 5 years of age. Redeemed in Virgina, by Catharine S. Lawrence; baptized in Brooklyn, at Plymouth Church, by Henry Ward Beecher, May, 1863. The folder also containes a newspaper clipping detailing the events about "The Freedom Ring" and "Little Pinky". In February, 1860, the colored child of a white father, was sold at auction by Henry Ward Beecher to prevent her being sold in the Far South by her owner. "Rain never fell faster than the tears of the congregation," and the price of the child was paid many times over. Into the basket of payments Rose Terry Cooke threw a valuable ring and Mr. Beecher placed this on the child's finger, saying, "With this ring I do wed thee to Freedom."
- Folder 143: Lee, 1st Lieut. B. D., undated
- Folder contains two photos of 1st Lt. B. D. Lee in military uniform.
- Folder 144: Lincoln, Jeanie Gould, 1880
- Folder includes two photos of Mrs. Jeanie Gould Lincoln. Glued onto the back of one photo is a newspaper clipping about her daughters christening, also the day of their fifth anniversary. Flowers and gifts were sent such as silver and carved wooden ornaments. A brief description of the ladies costumes, mostly velvet, lace, silk and satin draped with tulle. Among the guests were General Sherman, ex-Sectary and Mrs. Blaine, Mrs. and Miss. Dr. Johnson. The article also mentions the serving of caudle, a traditional beverage for christening fêtes.
- Folder 145: Lockwood, 1891
- One 4" x 5" photo of J. Ferris Lockwood dated August 16, 1891.
- Folder 146: Lord Family, 1895
Two photos and a copy of each of Mr. Augustus & Miss. Fanny Lord, cousins in Litchfield, by Mrs. Wallbridge.
Note: See Daguerreotype Boxes 2, 10, 11. Also See Ambrotypes Box 1.
- Folder 147: Lord, Mary, undated
- One oval cut (10" x 12") photo of Mary Lord.
- Folder 148: Lyman, Elihu, undated
- One 6" x 7½" photo of Ensign Elihu Lyman. Description on back reads: 17th Reg. Conn. Foot, Original member of Cincinnati. From painting on drum head by John Trumbell, original owned by Col. Geo. B. Sanford. 1760 -
- Folder 149: Lyons, Susan Kinsey, undated
- One 4" x 5" photo of Susan Kinsey Lyons.
- Folder 150: Mac Martin, undated
- One cyanotype of Mac Martin sitting in a wicker chair in front of a fireplace holding a large tea cup. Mounted on the front of the mantel is a "match safe" designed to hold period matches.
- Folder 151: Marsh Family, 1862
- Photos of portraits by S'neider and R. Earle, 1791, of Rev. Truman Marsh, born in Litchfield, 1768 - 1851. He was a graduate of Yale College, Class of 1786, also was Rector of St. Michaels, Litchfield for 27 years. Folder also includes three photos of Clarissa Seymour Marsh, born in Litchfield, 1772 - 1865. One photo is of a portrait of her by R. Earl in 1789. Captions read she was the widow of Truman Marsh and Clarissa Marsh daughter of Tev. Truman Marsh and wife of Gerrit P. Welch of Milton, Conn. Also see Daguerreotype Box 5, 7, 8.
- Folder 152: Mason, Mr., 1955
- One photo of Bruce Mason's father - with inscriptions on the back that read - who married the daughter of Elesha Harein Peck. Mrs. Mason is living (Jan. 1955) on orad to East Morris - for information about her ask Archie Macdonald at Cructh & Macdonalds Drug store.
- Folder 153: McNeil, undated
- The folder contains two photos. One photo of Alexander McNeill, married Elizabeth Parsons Woodruff, parents of Mrs. Earl Coe, Ruth McNeil. The second photo is of Frederick McNeil who was a Merchant in Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 154: Merchant, 1913
- One 4" x 6" oval mounted photo of Elizabeth Wolcott Merchan as a young girl wearing a large bow in her hair. A second photo, 6" x 9½" identifies Mrs. Huntington Wolcott Merchant (Mary Tallmadge) and her (young) children - Elizabeth Wolcott Merchant and Livingston Tallmadge Merchant. Caption also reads - Given to their cousin Mary Perkins Veniecy at Riverdale, 25 April 1913.
- Folder 155: Miles, undated
- Folder includes two 2½" x 3½" photos. One photo idedtifies Thomas M. Miles - minister in Winsted, then to the New Congregation Church in Meriden. The second photo identifies Mother and Eddie Augusta Culvery Miles.
- Folder 156: Miner Family, Part 1, 1875
- Folder contains over 50 photos, most of them are unidentified. Of note one 5½" x 4" photo shows five young children, two boys and three girls, the forth and youngest boy is wearing a navy military style costume. Another photo of a boy and his dog is also wearing a navy military costume, his hat reads USN. One photo shows a woman wearing a maid uniform identified as Aunt Leydia. One cyanotype of a woman on horseback is identified as Floris. One photo of a man and woman, he has a military jacket and hat on and the woman is wearing a nurses hat and uniform. A baby picture identifies Stephen R. Gay at seven months 1875. There is one tin type showing four women. Other names identified are Lucy Turner, Kate Gay, Julia A. Turner, Samuel E. Cotter.
- Folder 157: Miner Family, Part 2, 1904
- Most photos are unidentified. Two 8½" x 6" photos show an unidentified town in a flood. Signage on buildings identify J.H. Cammack and Co. as a furniture store, Munger and A. Molter's. Folder includes three photos of unidentified homes, a 4½" x 4" photo of three unidentified young girls and three separate portraits. There is also four Farm scenes including one with a young girl on a small pony dated 1904, sheep, a cow and fields.
- Folder 158: Montgomery, James Mortimer, undated
- Folder includes one 3½" x 3½" photo of James Mortimer Montgomery, President of Sons of Revolution.
- Folder 159: Morrison, James E., 1881
- Folder includes two photos. One of James E. Morrison and one of his wife.
- Folder 160: Mortimer, undated
- Folder includes two 8" x 10" B&W photos, one of a man the other of a woman holding a dog, in each photo they are standing next to a bird bath. Negatives are included in the folder identifies them as Austin Cheney and Mrs. Cheney in Litchfield. A 5" x 6½" B&W photo, includes the negative, identifies Stanley Mortimer.
- Folder 161: Murray, Dr. Grace Peckham, undated
- Two photos identify Dr. Grace Peckham Murray, wife of Judge Murray. Caption say she lectured in Litchfield, Conn. In one of the photos she is wearing a necklace with a cross.
- Folder 162: Noyes, William Curtis, undated
- Folder contains two photos and one color photo of a painting of William Curtis Noyes. Of note, attached on the back of one is the studios business information which states: By our improved processes. Portraits are taken from one to five seconds.
- Folder 163: Osborne, 1907
- One photo of Miss Lucy M. Osborn taken when she was 100 years old. Caption on the back reads: "Real Daughter" 1807 - 1908. Active member and chaplain of Mary Wooster, Chapter D.A.R. of Danbury, until her death.
- Folder 164: Parmalee, Rev. David L. & Miss Celestine, undated
- Folder includes two 2½" x 4" photos identifies Miss Celesti Parmalee and Rev. David L. Parmalee (1795-1865). Also see Daguerreotype Box 2 - Parmalee.
- Folder 165: Parsons, James, undated
- Folder contains one 4" x 6" photo of Mr. and Mrs. James Parsons, the photo is mounted on a card from Benedict Studio, Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 166: Payne, Rev. William, undated
- Folder includes one photo of Rev. William Payne, Rector of St. Michaels 1838-1945. Included in the folder is a letter from The Meriden Gravure Company in Meriden, Conn. stating that this photo was copied from the Payne book in 1954.
- Folder 167: Peck, 1879
- Photo of Elijah Peck (b. 1794) and a photo of Harriet Turner Peck (b. 1796) with notation married 1817. Also written on back - Grandparents of C. Bruce Mason on his mother's side (The Pecks) who owned Suckerbrook Farm (now Minty Farm). These two photos are stamped from J.L. Judd's Gallery in Litchfield, CT. A photo of Mrs. Henry Peck - mother of Mrs. Herrick, with notation Jerusha Clark, see portraits by Tenney, Tallmadge Lane, Litchfield. A photo of Miss Gainer Milinson, milliner for Mrs. O.P. Peck of West Main Street, photo by F.C. North, Rockville, CT. One photo of Tracy Peck.
- Folder 168: Perkins, 1869
A photo of Miss. Abby Perkins (1795-1875), taken by J.L. Judd a photographer in Litchfield, CT. PHotos of J. Demming Perkins, 1867. In one photo he shown wearing an overcoat and holding a top hat and walking cane. In the second photo he is standing by a horse and buggy. Photos from the original pastel protrait of Andrew Perkins and Mrs. Andrew Perkins (Elizabeth Taylor), third wife of Andrew Perkins and mother of Charles Perkins. Edish-Howell Perkins, noted as the engagement photograph, dated 1900. Other photos include Hon Julius Deming, Julius Deming Perkins, Jr., Miss Abby Perkins, daughter of Andrew Perkins, Charles Perkins (1792-1856), son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Taylor) Perkins, Edith H. Perkins-wearing a costume for a Masquerade (1887), Lucretia D. Perkins - now Mrs. John W. Quincy (1879), Edith-Howell Perkins, noted as the engagement photograph, dated 1900. Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Perkins sitting in a parlor with another woman, a large gas lamp sits on the table. A photo of a marble bust of Mrs. Julius Deming Perkins (1840-1917).
Photos of painting of Mrs. Mary Perkins (1708-1795), daughter of Dr. Caleb Bushnell, Mrs. Sarah Perkins (1744-1795), daughter of John Douglas, Doctor Elisha Perkins (1741-1799), inventor of the "Metallic Tractors", Doctor Joseph Perkins (1704-1794), painted by grand-daughter Sarah Perkins, afterwards Mrs. General Grosvenor.
Of special note are three photos showing J. Deming Perkins as "Hardcastle" and Edith Perkins as "Kate" from theatrical performance of "She Stoops to Conquer" taken by Benedict's Photo-Studio in Litchfield, CT.
Also Daguerreotypes, Box 2, 5, 8, 9, Perkins Family.
- Folder 169: Phelps, George E., 1899
- One photo of Fireman George E. Phelps in uniform, 18 years old. He is wearing the Litchfield Fire Dept. uniform donated by Gertrude to the Dept. in 1991 on the 100th anniversary of founding of Dept. Eugene was the first chief.
- Folder 170: Pierce, 1886
- Two photos of Jane Loring, wife of Prof. ASA Gray, niece of Miss. Mary Pierce. James Pierce (1779-1846), son of John Pierce and Mary Goodman Pierce (1772-1802). Silouette photos of Mrs. Ruth Pierce Croswell, sister of S. Pierce (b. 1764) and Dr. Thomas O. H. Croswell (d. 1844), brother-in-law of Sarah Pierce.
- Folder 171: Pierce, Mary, undated
- Photos of Mary Pierce, (1780-1863), includes five photos from a water color portrait and a 2½" x 4" print taken by a Litchfield studio. Also see Ambrotype Box 2.
- Folder 172: Pierce, Sarah, undated
- Sarah Pierce, (1767-1852), daughter of John Pierce and Mary Paterson. Two different photos of Sarah Pierce and copies taken from watercolors. Also includes photo of a silhouette. Of note one photo includes a notation "Her School 1792-1833", Litchfield Academy.
- Folder 173: Pierpont, undated
- Photos from portraits of Rev. James Pierpont and Mrs. Susan Hotchkiss Pierpont, wife of James Pierpont - Grandmother of Susie Bronson Brown. Also see Ambrotype Box 1.
- Folder 174: Plumb, Seth, 1862
- Photo of Seargent, (later Lt.) Seth Plumb, (1863-1864), the G.A.R. Litchfield Post was named for him for his Civil War service. Also a photo of Dr. (Maj.) Henry Plumb.
- Folder 175: Prindle, Mr. & Mrs., undated
- A 2½" x 3½" wedding photo of Mr. & Mrs. Prindle.
- Folder 176: Quincy, 1880
Photos of the Quincy family including one family portrait taken in New York, 1880 of John W. Quincy and Lucretia D. Quincy with their two children Mary P. Quincy and John W. Quincy. One photo of Mary Perkins Quincy (1866 - 1921) from an original portrait in pastel by J. Wells Champney of New York, 1892. A photograph of Mary Quincy taken by David Gardiner in Central Park, New York, 1893.
Two travel photos (approximately 8" x 10"), Egypt 1899 ("with Ali") - showing the Pyramids of Giza and The Great Sphinx and Granada.
Various photographs identify Prof. James M. Hoppin, Mary Perkins Quincy, Mrs. James M. Hoppin, Edmund Quincy, Lucretia D. Quincy, Caroline Fitzmaurice (1894), John Williams Quincy III (poratrait by Mrs. S. Whitman of Boston, 1893), Judge Edward Quincy.
Most pictures are about 8" x 10", some are 4" x 6".
- Folder 177: Quincy Family, 1859
Photos identify Mary Perkins Quincy 1893 & 1887, Mrs. William Wales 1879 - born Quincy, Edward Lorance Loring ? and Charlotte Wales Loring circa 1918, Quincy Wales 1908, John William Quincy Jr., Mary Honey Quincy, Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Quincy and family (Mary & John) 1880, Mrs. Dorthy (Quincy) Scott, Miss. M. A. Quincy 1859, Mrs. Martha Atkins Quincy 1870, Mr. Geo. H. Quincy of Boston, John W. Quincy 1876. Folder also includes one tin type.
Of note one photo captions Mary Quincy as maid of honor to the Queen in the "Antigone" of Sophocles 1891.
Also includes a photo of the Handcock House in Boston.
Some photos are similar to photos in folder 176 (Quincy).
- Folder 178: Ransom, William L., 1888
- Folder includes one photo of William R. Tansom and two (one copy) with caption With the Regards of WmL. Ransom taken by the Benedict Studio in Litchfield, CT.
- Folder 179: Ray/Stevens/Wadhams, 1862
Folder contains about 29 carte de visite, some have a postage stamp on the reverse. Most are unidentifies but a few have captions such as: Love to Addie, July 3rd 1863, Remember me Addie, April 30th 1862, Addie W. Stevens, 15th Feb. 1862, Addie Stevens Ray, <em>Mrs. Henry Ward Stevens - Jane Wadhaues Stevens - Addie's Mother.</em>
A few have J. L. Judd and G. B. Spencer of Litchfield, CT Photograph Studio stamp on the reverse.
Note: See Tintypes Box 2, Daguerreotype Box, 5, 6, 8, Ambrotypes Box 1
- Folder 180: Rice, Capt. James, undated
- One photo (carte de visite) of Capt. Jas. Rice in military uniform.
- Folder 181: Richards, 1886
- Photos of Hattie Richards (Mrs. George Richards), Rev. William Richards, George Richards, Rev. George Richards (1816-1870), Henry Richards, Mrs. Helen Richards 1886.
- Folder 182: Ripley, S. Dillon, 1905
- Three photos include one of Louis? Ripley - Dillon Ripley's brother riding an elephant, a Black & White (5" x 7") of Julien Ashton Ripley 1905, and a color print (3½" x 4½") of Mr. Ripley while doing one of his lectures 1977.
- Folder 183: Ripley, Louis A., 1905
- One 9" x 7" Black & White mounted photo of Louis A. Ripley sitting on a horse.
- Folder 184: Rockhill, William Woodville & Mrs. Wm Woodville (Edith Perkins), undated
Photos identify both William Woodville Rockville and his wife Mrs. W.W. Rockville (Edith Perkins).
Of note: William Rockville (1854-1914) was the Minister to Greece, Roumania, and Servia, and to China; Ambassador to Russia and to Turkey.
- Folder 185: Rockwell, 1880
- Photos identify Capt. Joseph Rockwell in military uniform, Fannie Beatrice Rockwell (1873?), Col. Joseph P. Rockville 1882, Frances Beatice Rockville 8 years old 1880, Edmund & Diana Rockville 7 years old 1880.
- Folder 186: Rogers, undated
- One (8" x 10") photo of a painting of Mrs. Henry W. Rogers (Kezia Holt Adams).
- Folder 187: Roosevelt, Theodore, 1904
- One photo of Theodore Roosevelt with a caption: To the Honary W.W. Rockhill with a very happy ___ year from Theodore Roosevelt
- Folder 188: Roraback, Mrs. W. G., 1921
- One photo of Mrs. W. G. Roraback standing outside, a white house is in the background,1921 and one photo of a silhoulette.
- Folder 189: Saltus, undated
- Two carte de visite, one of A. Wright Saltus with inscription on reverse A little Union boy for Aunt Rhoda. The other is of Mrs. Saltus - Ethel Ludington Morhs, she wears a heavy chain around her neck.
- Folder 190: Sanford Family, 1877
- Folder contains a 5¼" x 7" photo of Joan Sanford shown standing holding a cat was taken by her father William H. Sanford. The photo was found in Wiggins store room. Another photo taken by Benedict studio in Litchfield is a 4" x 6" of Dunscombe and Margaret Sanford. Additional carte de viste photos identifieds Margaret S. Sanford, Elihu Harrison Sanford (brother of William Sanford - father of Margaret Sanford), Amasa Wright Sanford, Clarinda Harrison (3rd wife of Rollin Sanford - grandfather of Margaret Sanford), William H. Stanford - father of Margaret Sanford, Harrison Sanford taken at W. Hendricks studio in Stamford, Conn., Aunt Rhoda, and another photo taken by Benedict studio of Margaret Sanford with Katherine Baldwin (West Street) with their dog wearing a spiked collar.
- Folder 191: Sansing, Victoria, 1983
- Folder contains two color photos of Mrs. Victoria Sansing.
- Folder 192: Schermerhorn, Alfred E., 1895
- One photo of Alfred E. Schermerhorn sporting a mustache and spectacles.
- Folder 193: Sedgwick, Major Gen. John & Mrs. John, 1901
- Folder contains a photo of Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick in uniform. One photo of Mrs. John Sedgwick. Also a group photo of seven women identifies Mrs. John Sedgwick?, Frances Moraghan, (Mrs. John Hannon), Kathanne Birmingham, (Mrs. Charles Barbour), Miss. Nuhn, Miss. Loveland.
- Folder 194: Seymour - part 1, 1861
Photos identify Mrs. O.S. Seymour 1807-1894 (Lucy, daughter of General Morris Woodruff) of note: she knit over 200 pairs of stockings for soldiers during the Civil War. Photo of Mr. William H. Seymour 1802-1902 (his father was Capt. Samuel Seymour brother of Major Moses Seymour) on his 100th birthday. Photo of paintings identify Clarissa Seymour Marsh, Major Moses Seymour by Ralph Earl. One silhouette of S.O. Seymour 1878.
Other photos identify the wife of Moses (son of Ilafor Moses) Seymour, Honary Morris W. Seymour 1836, Rev. Dr. S.O. Seymour and Mrs. S.O. Seymour, Origen S. Seymour P.E.A. (possibly Phillips Exeter Academy 1890), and another of Origen Seymour taken at Betts a Bridgeport, Conn. studio showing him with a (extra large front) two wheeled bicycle, Judge Edward Seymour with a top hat, Rev. Storrs Ozias Seymour 1836-1918 of Saint Michael's Church, Mary Brown (Mrs. S. Seymour), Edward S. Seymour - son of Rev. Stors O. Seymour, Francis Lord Seymour and her dog, Mrs. Storrs O. Seymour (about 1900) also named Mary Harrison, Seymour, Ned Seymour, Morris Woodruff Seymour 1862 (1842-1920), Judge Origen Seymour & daughter Maria, Rev. Storrs Seymour.
A group photo, 1863, of eight people identify Morris W. Seymour, Judge Edmund W. Seymour, Miss. Augusta Hotchkiss, Rev. Storrs O. Seymour (middle), Mrs. Charles Woodruff, Maria Seymour, Mary Woodruffn and Mrs. Babcock. Some of the photos were taken by J.L. Judd studio in Litchfield, CT.
Note: See Daguerreotype Box 4, Seymour Family
- Folder 195: Seymour - part 2, 1863
Some of photos have descriptive captions which read:
Hon. Edward W. Seymour. Son of Judge of Supreme Court of Connecticut, U.S. Congress Rep. Taken in his library in the house he built on South St. next to the Roman Catholic Church, when he married Mary Floyd Tallmadge - daughter of Frederick Augustus Tallmadge and Elizabeth Hannah Canfield.
Dr. Storrs O. Seymour (1836) first President of the Litchfield Historical Society (1893-1916) and the Hon. George M. Woodruff, 2nd president. They were double first cousins.
Mrs. Storrs O. Seymour at St. Michaels Rectory, Litchfield (about 1910) reading what looks like a church bulletin from St. James.
Photos taken at The Litchfield Studio identies Rev. Dr. Storrs O. Seymour (1836-1918), Rector St. Michael's Episcopal Church, Litchfield, 1879-1883 and 1893-1916. Rector Emeritus until his death, 1918.
Other photos identify: Morris Woodruff Seymour brother of Storrs Ozias, Edward Woodruff, a silhouette of Dr. Seymour, , Rev. Storrs O. Seymour - Pastor of St. Michael's, Origen Storrs Seymour, Judge E.W. Seymour with four unidentified people standing under a rock formation, a B&W photo of a stained glass window with a dedication to Mary H. Seymour, Rev. Storrs O. Seymour on the steps of St. Michael's Church about 1900.
Photos (cartes de visite) taken by J.L. Judd, a studio in Litchfield: Mrs. E.W. Seymour - (Mary Floyd Tallmadge) pictured in her wedding dress, 1865. Another photo identifies Emily C. Noyes, Cora E. White (Mrs Towne) and Mary F. Tallmadge (Mrs. E.W. Seymour) 1863.
Note-Also See: Moses Seymour Print in with Beckwith Family Photographs.
- Folder 196: Sheldon, undated
A photo taken of a painting identifies Lucy Sheldon another identifies Dr. Daniel Sheldon by Anson Dickinson. Other photos identify Henry Sheldon son of Dr. Daniel Sheldon.
Note: See Ambrotype Box 2; See Daguerrotype Box 5
- Folder 197: Sherman, Roger Minot & Mrs. Roger M., 1915
- Folder holds two 7" x 9" photos of paintings of Roger Minot Sherman and Mrs. Roger Minot Sherman possibly by Nathaniel Jocelyn.
- Folder 198: Smith, Cornelia B., undated
One photo of Cornelia B. Smith sitting in an office talking on a candlestick style phone.
Of special note: The office shows two typewriters, one a No.10 Smith Premier Typewriter. On the wall behind her are two posters. One is titled Siegel-Russell Index Co. Publisher of Index Systems for Public Records, Saving Time Books And Labor. Nearly 4,000,000 Names Indexed under our economic System. The other poster is titled Torrington and Litchfield Auto-Stage Line and shows the stage schedule: Stage will leave Phelps Tavern for Torrington R.R. Station and when the Stage will make the return trip. The bottom of the poster reads W.S. Fenn's Stables, Litchfield, Conn, Phone XX and The E.J. Kelly Co. Torrington, Conn, Phone XX. Other office equipment shown in the photo include rubber stamps on a rack, a Connecticut Telephone Directory and an embossing seal (such as Notaries use).
- Folder 199: Smith, Dr. Elihu H., undated
- Two photos from a paintings of Dr. Elihu Hubbard Smith (1771-1798), son of Dr. Reuben and Abigail (Hubbard) Smith.
- Folder 200: Smith, Mr. & Mrs. Ralph, 1890
Folder includes four photo postcards of Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Smith and friends, one interior the others in the countryside. And one miniture of Washington Smith. Names include Mr. & Mrs. Earl Smith (Ralph's brother).
Of special note: Mr. Smith kept "Ye Old Curiositie Shoppe" in the small building built for De. Reuben Smith as office and apothecary shop. It stood between Miss. Phelp's house and the U.S. Hotel (Phelps Tavern).
- Folder 201: Spinney, Mabel, 1921
- One 6½" x 10" B&W photo of Mrs. Mabel Spinney with her three children, Hoanna, Richard and Henry.
- Folder 202: Stevens, James & Mary, 1898
- Two 6" x 9" B&W photos, one ot James and Mary, The other of Mary Stevens, Sarah Pope, Minnie Lindley, Grandle Lindley.
- Folder 203: Strong, Harriet (Deming) Mrs. William L., 1807
One photo from a painting of Mrs. Strong.
Harriet Deming (1789-1875) was the daughter of Henry Deming and Anne Lord and a niece of Julias Deming of Litchfield. She married Rev. William L. Strong of Somers, Conn. and had eleven children. Esquire "Julius Deming of Litchfield was her grandfathers brother".
- Folder 204: Tallmadge, 1865
Folder includes original photos and photos of paintings. Names include: Mary
Floyd Tallmadge (and children), Maria Adams (daughter of Andrew Adams, married Henry Tallmadge), Livingston Tallmadge Merchant, Mrs. W.R. Ogle (Miss. Julia Tallmadge - sister of Mrs. J.M.B. Dwight, William Smith Tallmadge (1785-1822) portrait in collection, died in Moscow, New York, at the age of 37, (his brother was lost at sea aged 19) son of Col. Benjamine Tallmadge, Frederick Samuel Tallmadge (1824-1904), (son of Honorable Frederick Augustus Tallmadge), Maria Tallmadge Cushman (daughter of Col. Tallmadge, wife of John P. Cushman of Troy), Gen. William Floyd (signer of the Declaration of Independance, and father of Mary Floyd Tallmadge), William Pomroy Ogle 2" x 3" glass plate (son of Julia Tallmadge Ogle), an unidentified 4" x 6" photo from Albees studio in Torrington, CT. One 3" x 4" photo of St. Mark's Church in New York. Also a photo of the window in St. Mark's Church as a memorial to Frederick S. Tallmadge.
- Folder 205: Thompson, 1897
- Folder contains one photo of George Thompson and five photos of Miss. Esther H. Thompson.Two photos are from The Litchfield Studio and one is from Benedict's Studio from Litchfield, CT.
- Folder 206: Tomlinson Family (Penn.), 1860
- Folder contains three tin types identifing Augusta Hyde, Mrs. C.A. Warren, Frances M. Agusta Hyde, Ann T. Agusta Hyde Tomlinson. Cartes de Viste photos identify Edwin H. Tomlinson, Alice H. Tomlinson (daughter of Edwin Tomlinson and Mary Hyde Tomlinson, (cousin) Grace Tomlinson, Augusta Hyde, Mrs. Peter Tomlinson (Augusta Hyde, mother of Edwin H.T.) Peter Tomlinson (my father). Some photos were taken at J.A. Mather in Titusville, PA, others taken at G.N. Granniss in Waterbury, CT, one taken at Bundy & Williams in New Haven, CT.
- Folder 207: Tracy, 1913
- Photos of Francis Gallatice Tracy, Jr., great, great, grandson of Major General Uriah Tracy. One photo of a portrait of Mrs. Susannah Bull Tracy (1758-1843, wife of U.S. Senator Uriah Tracy of Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 208: Trowbridge, 1895
- Folder includes one photo of Thomas R. Trowbridge, and one photo of Edith Champion Trowbridge both of New Haven, Conn.
- Folder 209: Trumbull, 1885
- Photos identify Mrs. William Trumbull, Ann Trumbull (Mrs. William), Bob & Bill Trumbull (in front of a butcher shop), Allen Train Trumbull & Mr. William Trumbull - photo taken at Benedict's in Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 210: Turkington, 1874
- One photo identifies Horatis Benton (Died in 1875) & David Turkington in 1874 taken by Benedict's Studio in Litchfield, Conn. Another photo identifies Frank H. Turkington as High Sheriff of Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 211: Dr. Charles Turkington & show dog "Willie", 1959
- Folder contains one 5" x 7" B&W photo of Dr. Charles Turkington with a (Beagle) show dog "Willie".
- Folder 212: Turner, Albert, N. & wife Nellie (Catlin), 1881-c.1935
- Folder contains three silouettes of Albert Turner, Josephine Wooster Catlin and Unidentified. Photos identify Mrs. Albert N. Turner (Nellie Catlin) age 5, Mr. & Mrs. Albert M. Turner of Northfield, Conn.
- Folder 213: U.S. Statesmen, undated
- Most photos are 4" x 5½" or 6" B&W; Those that are identified include: J.B. Peaser, Mildrow, Culberson, Gov. R.B. Bullock of Georgia, Judge James J. Winans, John H. Brewer, Thomas Clay McCreery, A.H. Buckan, Honary C.H. Sawyer of N.H., Jacob Benton M.C. of N.H., H. Howard of R.I., Hardaman of Georgia M.C., Honary Jos Allison, Wayne M. Veugh, Honary John M. Dary of N.Y., W.J. Stone of Montana, C.W. Stone of Pennsylvania, Claude Mattews Governor of Indiana, Richard J. Bowie, D.R. James,C.D. Clark of Wyoming, W.L. Hikon of West Virgina, John Baker, A.J. Thompson, L.D. Apsley, J.B. Clark Jr., J.P. Thick, J.W. Kendall of Kentucky, R.W. Everett of Georgia, B.H. Hill, SenatorJ.D. Walker, Senator J.M. Lamden, Senator Hearst, Samual Ward King, W.H. Hatch of Montana, Jack Taylor, Gov. A. Jencks, Senator Ball, S.C. Harper of New Jersey, Joseph W. Fifer (Republican) of Illinois, G.R. Davis, Milo White, W.G. Gulbertson of Pennsylvania, Sanaton Ransom, Daniel Cady, E.J. Turner Kaus., J.M. Carey, Jason B. Brown of Indiana, J.B. Allen of Washington, Whithorne of Tennessee, Leon Ulaisle, W.H. Crain of Texas, L.W. Moore of Texas, C.U. Brunner, J. Stephenson, Judge Buttin, Van Iyck, Honorable Vance, Honorable J.H. Fair.
- Folder 214: Vanderpoel, Emily Noyes, 1863
- Folder includes 7" x 9" photocopies of a portrait of Emily Vanderpole (by Forster of Toronto) in Litchfield, CT. A 6½" x 8½" photo of Emily Vanderpole in her Home/Studio, 22 Gramercy Park, NYC; shows elaborate decorative furnishings, fireplace and fur rug. A 6" x 8½" photo of Emily N. Vanderpoel with Mrs. Gerald Low and sons. A 5" x 8" photo of three women having tea identified as Mary Floyd Tallmadge, Cora Elizabeth White and Emily Caroline Noyes; photo taken at Litchfield, Conn. by J.L. Judd 1863.
- Folder 215: Vanderpoel Family, undated
- Photos identify John Arent Vanderpoel and Floyd Vanderpoel. Also two 2½" x 4" photos identify Mr. and Mrs. John Vanderpoel - son of E.N. Vanderpoel, and a group of six people identifies Alex Nickil and Anne, John Vanderpoel, E.B. Roburtr, and a little girl Laura Dotterer.
- Folder 216: Vandewater, Emma R. & Wheeler, Susie Eileen; Elmore, Paul; Wheeler, Mae, 1902
- Litchfield High School 1902. Shown standing with diploma in hand are Mae Ingersoll Wheeler, Paul Bradley Elmore, Susie Eileen Wheeler, Emma Reed Vandewater.
- Folder 217: Van Renssaeler, Mrs. Philip, 1910
- Folder contains one 3½" x 5" oval photo of Mrs. Philip Van Renssaeler.
- Folder 218: Van Rensselaer, undated
- Folder conatins two photos, one of Mary Tallmage (Mrs. Philip) and of James Tallmadge Van Resnsselaer.
- Folder 219: Van Winkle, 1863
Photos identifies Edgar Beach Van Winkle, Sr., Miss Elizabeth Van Winkle, Mrs. Edgar S. Van Winkle (Miss. Beach), Miss. Mary DuBois Van Winkle (daughter of Edgar S. Van Winkle), Mrs. Edgar B. Van Winkle Jr. (representing Rumania in the Tableaux of the Allies, Sept. 1917), Mrs. Edgar S. Van Winkle (Hanna Beach, 1863), Miss Elizabeth S. Van Winkle, (1862?), Miss Mary D.B. Van Winkle (photographed by J.L. Judd in Litchfield), Mrs. E.B. Van Winkle (afterward Mrs. Foster). There is also a photo of a costume (Bonnet & Cloak) about 1828.
Two picitures dated Feb. 1934 depict deep snow scenes taken in Litchfield, CT. One of Lanes End driveway with Ned Van Winkles wife and collie dog with the barn in the background. The other photo is of North Lake Street, North of Lanes End driveway.
One 4¼" x 2½" (three generations) photo of Edgar Beach Van Winkle and his son William Mitchell Van Winkle and his son Willian Van Winkle Jr. c.1914.
- Folder 220: Viltum, 1884
- Folder contains three 4" x 5½" photos that identify James A. Viltum, Bertha Louise Viltum at 2 years and 8 months and another at 11 years old, 1893.
- Folder 221: Vinton, Mrs. Alice Edwards, undated
- One 2¼" x 3½" photo of Mrs. Alice Edward Vinton. The photographer stamp is from Heidelberg.
- Folder 222: Vondermuhl, 1920
- One 3" x 4" photo identifies Sandy Beach, 1920 with caption: The late Margaret Beckwith gives a swimming lesson to Kitty Vondermuhl (now Mrs. Kingstand Van Winkle) as Kitty's brother George awaits his turn. Photo by Kate Knapp Vondermuhl.
- Folder 223: Walbridge, William & wife, 1909
- One photo of Mrs. William Walbridge of Litchfield, Conn.
- Folder 224: Wales, Elizabeth A.W. Quincy, 1890
- Folder includes two photos of Mrs. William Wales (1809-1893), (Elizabeth A.W. Quincy).
- Folder 225: Warner, Dr. Charles N., 1902
- Folder contains two 5" x 4" photos of Charles N. Warner, Sr - M.D. One photo shows him examining Ethel Smith daughter of George Smith. Of note the photos show an ornate gas stove, Doctor bag near his desk and a wall mounted telephone.
- Folder 226: Warren, Minnie & Com Nuti & Mrs. Tom Thumb, 1863
- One 2½" x 4" photo of Mr. & Mrs. Tom Thumb in wedding attire.
- Folder 227: Warren, 1881
- Folder contains one tin type of a man and two women, one wears a fur collar and fur hand muff. Other photos identify Mrs. A.G. Lamson and daughter Charlotte Wardner Lamson in christening dress, 1881. Also Mrs. C.A. Warren, Francis M. Warren (1860), Alice Hyde Warren (1859-1864), and Bill Warren (William L.)
- Folder 228: Webster, 1889
- One 4" x 5½" photo of George Barry Webster.
- Folder 229: Wier, Edward (Blizzard), undated
- One 5½" x 3" B&W photo of a man standing with one foot on a snow pile and the other foot atop the roof of an early model truck with chains on the tires sporting license plate # PS·30.
- Folder 230: Wells, Miss Julia, undated
- Folder contains one 4½" x 8" photo of Miss Julia Wells sitting at a secretary desk writing. Of note; beside the desk stands an kerosene floor lamp. The lamp chamber hangs from the pole by three chains.
- Folder 231: Wessells, undated
Names identified are Frances Wessells & dog, Frances Wessells "The Kid", Julia Wessells, Julia Adams Wessells, Fredericka Wessells (Fredericka Wessells Caldwell). Of note, most photos are 4" x 5½", some photos are by Benedict Studio in Litchfield, CT.
Also see Daguerreotype Box 1, see "Gates, Dr. H." Photo File.
- Folder 232: Westover, Mrs. Lavinia, undated
- Folder contains one 5½" x 8" photo of Mrs. Lavinia Westover (Bantam, CT).
- Folder 233: Whalen, undated
- Folder contains a photo folder holding one 6½" x 5" group photo identifying Joe and Frank Whalen, Helen Whalen, and their parents Frank and Debra Whalen.
- Folder 234: Wheeler, 1890
- Folder holds two photos. One identifies Charles D. Wheeler taken while a Representative at Hartford and one of Miss Elizabeth D. Wheeler (1889).
- Folder 235: Wheelock, 1874
- Folder contains a 6½" x 9" photo identifying Joseph A. Wheelock (1890). A mixture of 2½" x 4" cartes-de-visite and 4" x 6" cabinet cards identify John Wheelock, Mary Adams Wheelock, Julia Wheelock, Daisy Wheelock (1892), Sarah Adams Wheelock (Daisy) daughter of Mary Adams Wheelock (1876), Joseph A. Wheelock (1876 & 1881). Also one Tin Type identifying Jo. Wheelock son of Mary A. Wheelock.
- Folder 236: White, Alain & sisters, 1894
- Folder includes a B&W photo of Alain C. White. Also three 4½" x 6" photos identify Mary W. White (1897), Elizabeth Sebden White (1894), and Lucy White Morris as sisters of Alain C. White.
- Folder 237: White, Eli & wife Caroline, undated
- Folder includes two 2½" x 3" Cartes-de-viste identifying Eli White andMrs. Eli White (Caroline).
- Folder 238: White, Henry D. & wife Julia, 1862
- Folder includes one 4" x 6" cabinet card identifing Henry Dyer White of New Haven, Conn. Folder also includes two 2½" x 3½" cartes-de-visite identifying Mrs. Henry D. White of New Haven (Julia F. White, 1862), and Henry D. White of New Haven (Valentines Day - 1863).
- Folder 239: Whiting, Amy (Lathrop) Mrs. William Bradford, undated
- Reverse side indicates: copied from old oil painting. Amy Lathrop (1735-1815), daughter of Col. Nathaine Lathrop and Anna Backus.
- Folder 240: Whiting, Col. Nathan & wife, undated
- Folder contains two hand colored photos of paintings identifying Col. Nathan Whiting and Mrs. Nathan Whiting.
- Folder 241: Wolcott, undated
- Folder contains two 5" x 7" photographs of portraits. One of Laura Wolcott's husband Robert Rankin. The other of Laura Maria Wolcott Rankin. Other photos identify Elizabeth Hungton Wolcott, wife of John P. Jackson. One B&W 4" x 4" photo showing a portrait of Hungton Wolcott hanging above the fireplace with his great, great, great nephew, Neilson Abeel seated below.
- Folder 242: Wood, Rev. Dr. W., 1911
- One 5½" x 4" photoof Rev. Dr. W. Wood & Mabel Munson (1911). Costume dress at the Pergola, Litchfield Aug. 1st 1911.
- Folder 243: Woodward, A. B., undated
- One 5" x 8" photo of A. B. Woodward.
- Folder 244: Young, undated
- Folder contains one 4" x 5½" photo of two children named Caroline Mary Young (4 years 11 months) and Benjamin Swan Young (2 years 2 months).