Litchfield County Commissioners records, 1887-1960
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Litchfield County was established in 1785 and as such became part of the Connecticut county government system. The county government operated jails, maintained the courthouse, gave out liquor licenses, dealt with highway and boundary disputes between towns, was responsible for the care and protection of orphaned and neglected children, appropriated funds for agricultural extension services and fighting fires, and performed other legal duties. By the mid-20th century, the State had assumed responsibility for most of the functions, and the county government was abolished on October 1, 1960.
Held at:
Litchfield Historical Society
7 South Street, P.O. Box 385
Litchfield, CT 6759
Phone: 860-567-4501
Fax: 860-567-3565
Email: archivist [at] litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org
Volume: 0.0
Acquired: 00/00/1987. manuscript boxes found in collection had not been accessioned.
Access Restrictions: The collection is open for research.
Subject Index
Courthouses - Connecticut - Litchfield
Jails - Connecticut - Litchfield County
Languages of Materials
English [eng]
Acquisition Notes: Connecticut State Library  Gift
Other Formats: For more information please see http://litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org.
PreferredCitation: Litchfield County Commissioners records (1987-11-0), Litchfield Historical Society, Helga J. Ingraham Memorial Library, P.O. Box 385, 7 South Street, Litchfield, Connecticut 06759.