Trinity Church Papers, 1854-1879
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description:

The Trinity Church Papers, 1985-27, include accounts of monies paid and received, a chart showing pew rentals and costs, and an agreement with St. Michael's Church to buy their organ for $350.

In 1798, Episcopalians living there applied to the First Episcopal Society for permission to build a chapel in the Village of Milton. It was approved and Trinity Parish was born.  The congregation had met for about eleven years in private homes, finally beginning the present church edifice on June 25, 1802, thus making it one of the nine oldest churches in the Diocese. It was fitted for use with the addition of a roof, and finished with benches. The builder, Oliver Dickinson, had been a British prisoner in the original Trinity Church, at the top of Wall Street in New York City, before the British burned it down, with the rest of lower Manhattan in 1776. Dickinson modeled the Milton church after the second Trinity Church, Wall Street, simplifying the design for the smaller structure. At first there was no chancel. The original balconies remain. The overall design is an unusually successful combination of classical and gothic features, such as the gracefully pointed windows and muntins. When the second St. Michael’s was built in 1812, the members voted to give Milton the pews, tulip pulpit, reading desk, and railings from the old church. The pulpit had to be cut down as it was far too high. It had been a gift from the English Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG) which had supported missionary work in the American colonies until the Revolution. In 1843 Garret P. Welch and his brother Hugh gave the church an exceptionally resonant 30 inch bell, cast by O. Hanks, in Troy, N.Y. Around 1851 when the third St. Michael’s was built, the stained glass altar window was given to Trinity. Within a year of two the chancel was constructed to house it.

Held at:
Litchfield Historical Society
7 South Street, P.O. Box 385
Litchfield, CT 6759
Phone: 860-567-4501
Fax: 860-567-3565
Email: archivist [at] litchfieldhistoricalsociety.org
Record Series Number: 00/1985-27
Volume: 1.0 Folders
Acquired: 00/00/1985.
Access Restrictions: This collection is open for research.
Rights/Use Restrictions: Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Acquisition Notes: Dan Peck  Gift
PreferredCitation: Trinity Church Papers (1985-27), Litchfield Historical Society, Helga J. Ingraham Memorial Library, P.O. Box 385, 7 South Street, Litchfield, Connecticut, 06759.